The Home Office has my passport and I need to fly back to the US for an emergency. Can the Embassy help me?

QUESTION: I’ve applied with the Home Office to adjust my visa status but I haven’t heard from them in weeks now. I have a family emergency and need to fly back to the U.S. Can the Embassy do anything to help me?

ANSWER: Unfortunately, the U.S. Embassy cannot intervene in such matters. The United Kingdom is a sovereign country and has the right to make decisions regarding UK immigration within its own time frame.

If you need professional assistance from qualified UK immigration practitioners, you may wish to contact the Community Legal Advice at  or the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) at .

If you are in need of the immediate return of your U.S. passport, you will need to contact the Call Centre for the UK Border Agency Immigration Enquiry Bureau (IEB) at 0870 606 7766. Please be advised that, if you ask them to return your passport before your residency application is decided, the application will be considered withdrawn. You are also welcome to apply for an emergency U.S. passport; for more information on the application process, please see our website at
You should be aware, however, that without the appropriate visa in your passport, you may be denied entry into the United Kingdom.

For more information regarding British Immigration visas, please visit .