Its that time again, January’s Most Popular Question!

QUESTION. I can qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, but my spouse/partner is not a citizen of a Visa Waiver country.  Can they travel visa free as my derivative?

ANSWER. Sorry, no.  Each person travelling must qualify for either the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or for the appropriate visa, based on their own situation.

Its not possible to derive status for visa free travel, and each person travelling must be in possession of a valid ESTA registration and meet all the requirements to travel under the VWP.  Check them out here, to see if you qualify!

If you don’t meet the requirements to travel visa free, you’ll need the appropriate visa.  Information about the different types of visa and how to apply, is available from the Embassy website at