2 thoughts on “How Can We Help U.S. Citizens in the United Kingdom?

  1. I’m a US citizen & I’ve lived in the Uk for more than 23 years and married a British national 23 years ago in the UK. We would like to move to the USA and are in the process of getting my husbands permanent visa, however, I’m confused as to which Affidavit I am supposed to complete as I have not filed a US tax return since 1991. Can you please help.

    1. If you are applying for an immigrant visa for your spouse, you will need to complete an I-864 Affidavit of Support. U.S. Citizens are required to file a tax return, even if they are not resident in the United States. If you have not filed a tax return while living in the UK, you should contact the IRS for assistance and advice on filing retroactively. Your husband will need to present your most recent U.S. tax return with the I-864 form at the time of his immigrant visa interview.

Comments are closed