Where can I obtain tourist information for the U.S. ?

The U.S. no longer operates a national tourist office in the United Kingdom. There is currently no central office for tourist information within the American Embassy in London either.

Discover America lets you explore the 50 states and U.S. territories before you go.  Learn what you need to know about entering the U.S., accommodations, transportation within the U.S., money, and more.  Their website is at www.discoveramerica.com

The Visit USA Association, a private non-profit group, offers a selection of information and literature on U.S. travel. Do note that Visit USA do not offer visa information.

A number of tourist destinations have representation in the U.K.   At the end of this page  is an regularly updated list of U.S. states and popular destinations with contact telephone numbers (where available) as well as websites. Please do remember that these are not qualified to answer visa-related information. To find out more about visas, please consult our visa information.

Where can I find information about the National Parks of the U.S.?

The National Park Service Website provides general information about visiting National Parks in the U.S., together with an alphabetical list of parks with detailed, park-specific information.

Will my British driver’s license be adequate for renting a car?

The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter’s full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable.

Most car rental companies require that you have held a full license for at least one year, regardless of age. The minimum age for renting a car is normally 21 although it can be as high as 25. Often an additional charge is levied on drivers who are under 25 years of age.

International Driving Permits (see: postofffice.co.uk) are generally not required in the U.S., but it is helpful to carry one. If they are taken, they are only valid in conjunction with a full national driving license. They should not be accepted on their own. It is recommended that drivers who possess a full national license that is in script other than Roman, i.e. Cyrillic or Arabic, should also obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Young drivers may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit to use as a photo ID, in place of a passport, for entry into bars and nightclubs where the minimum age for entry is 21 years.

If you have endorsements on your license, do check with your rental company that these do not present a problem.

We suggest that you check the requirements of your prospective car rental company by contacting them direct.

How can I obtain a disabled parking permit for my car while visiting the U.S.?

More information on disabled parking permits as well as contact information for many states is available on our disabled parking permits for visitors page.

How old do I need to be to buy an alcoholic drink or gamble in the U.S.?

The minimum age for buying and consuming alcohol in the U.S. is 21 years, as it is for gambling or entering casinos. Photo ID may also be required for entry to bars and nightclubs (see International Driving Permits above).

What’s the weather like where I’m going?

The Weather Channel, a 24 hour cable channel, and the national newspaper USA Today are among a number of websites providing current weather reports and 5 day forecasts for U.S. cities.

How can I obtain tickets to tour the White House?

The American Embassy in London cannot provide tickets to tour the White House, nor can the British Embassy in Washington, D.C.

You may wish to consider tours of the U.S. Capitol Building, where visitors are able to arrive on the day and obtain a timed-entry tour pass. Your passport is required for entry. You can also book a Pentagon Tour. Non-US Nationals will need to submit the British Embassy’s address instead of their home address. Further assistance regarding the online booking process should be directed to the Pentagon Tour Office +1 703 697 1776.

How many British tourists visited the U.S. last year?

The International Trade Administration’s Tourism Industries Office has issued a report indicating that there were 4.0 million visits to the U.S. by United Kingdom residents in 2014, out of a total of 74.8 million visits.  See also the Tourism Industries one-pager Fast Facts (PDF).

Many other travel statistics can be found on the Tourism Industries Office website.

I have a British passport and want to get married in the United States.  Can you help me?

If you as a British passport holder or British citizen want to get married in the United States you need to check the information provided by the Foreign & Commonwealth office on Getting Married Abroad.   You should also get in touch with the British Embassy in Washington or the nearest British Consulate in the United States.

Where is the British Embassy or British Consulate?

Here are the relevant websites:

British Consulates in the U.S. :


City or State Contact number
Alabama (AL) [44](0)20 8339 6122
Alaska (AK) [44](0)1483 500006
Arizona (AZ) [44}(0)20 8741 7256
Arkansas (AR) [44] (0) 7928 1600
California (CA) [44](0)20 7257 6180
Capital Region USA (DC,MD,VA) [44](0)20 8339 6048
Central Florida [44](0)1373 466707
Colorado (CO) [44](0) 8456 020574
Connecticut (CT) 001 860 256 2800
Daytona Beach, Florida [44](0)20 7932 2471
Delaware (DE) 001 866 284 7483
Florida (FL) [44](0)20 7932 2406
Florida Keys & Key West [44](0)1564 794555
Florida’s Space Coast [44] (0)1293 449145
Fort Lauderdale [44](0)1628 778863
Georgia (GA) [44] (0) 1444 483767
Great Lakes (IL,IN,MI,MN,OH,WI) [44](0)8456020574
Idaho (ID) 001 208 334 2470
Illinois (IL) [44](0) 8456020574
Indiana (IN) 001 800 677 9800
Iowa (IA) 001 515 725 3084
Kansas (KS) 08450 533 280
Kentucky (KY [44](0)20 7681 6270
Louisiana (LA) [44] (0)20 8460 7082
Kissimmee-St. Cloud [44](0)1732 875722
Lee County, Florida [44](0)1273 832832
Los Angeles, California [44](0)20 7318 9555
Louisiana & New Orleans [44](0) 208 313 1717
Maine (ME) 0800 032 6208 (free from the UK)
Maryland (MD) [44](0)20 8339 6048
Massachusetts (MA) [44](0)1689 827451
Miami, Florida [44](0)1444 443355
Michigan (MI) 001 888 784 7328
Minnesota (MN) 001 651 296 5029
Mississippi (MS) [44](0)1462 440787
Missouri (MO) [44](0)8456020574
Montana (MT) [44](0)825 76 36 36
Nebraska (NE) 001 402 471 3796
Nevada (NV) & Las Vegas [44](0)207 367 0979
New England (CT,ME,MA,NH,RI,VT) [44] (0)20 82377977
New Hampshire (NH) 001 603 271 2665
New Jersey (NJ) 001 800 847 4865
New Mexico (NM) 001 505 827 7400
New York City [44](0)20 7367 0934
New York State (NY) [44](0)20 7629 6891
North Carolina (NC) [44](0)20 7367 0937
North Carolina (NC) [44](0)20 8460 3582
North Dakota (ND) [44](0)1825 76 36 36
Ohio (OH) 001 800 282 5393
Oklahoma (OK) [44](0)1292 313969
Oregon (OR) [44](0)1326 250213
Orlando 0800 018 6799
Palm Beach County, Florida [44](0)20 7644 6117
Pennsylvania (PA) [44](0) 8456 020 574
Rhythms of the South
(Atlanta, Nashville, New Orleans)
[44](0)1326 250213
Rhode Island (RI) 001 401 278 9100
Rocky Mountain (ID,MT,SD,WY) 09063 640655 (Consumer line, calls charged at 60p per minute)
Sarasota,FL [44](0)20 7257 8858
South Carolina (SC) [44](0)20 8460 8693
South Dakota (SD) [44](0)1825 76 36 36
St Petersburg/Clearwater, Florida [44](0)20 8339 6121
Tennessee (TN) [44](0)1462 440784
Texas (TX) [44](0)20 7978 5233
Utah (UT) [44](0)0)8456020574
Vermont (VT) 0800 345 7322 (free from the UK)
Virginia (VA) [44](0)20 8339 6048
Washington DC [44](0)20 8339 6048
Washington State (WA) [44](0)20 7978 5233
West Virginia (WV) [44](0)20 8994 0978
Wisconsin (WI) 001 608 266 2161
Wyoming (WY) [44](0)1825 76 36 36


Links to individual state and territorial Tourism Offices can be found as part of the site SeeAmerica.org which is operated by the Travel Industry Association of America.