1. Hub for innovation – “We are a nation of pioneers.”
30% of the world’s Research & Development expenditures are paid out in the U.S., making our country a hub for innovation and entrepreneurship.
2. The Special Relationship in action – “It’s you, it’s us – it’s we.”
2016 is the 70th Anniversary of the coining of the phrase “The Special Relationship” and the U.S.-UK relationship is as strong as ever. You get to be part of an enduring connection.
3. Robust and evolving infrastructure – “Get from A to B smarter, cleaner, faster.”
The U.S. has a robust and progressive infrastructure, not least in telecommunications, transportation and technology. Recent programs include the launch of the “Smart Cities” initiative that will invest over $160 million in federal research and leverage more than 25 new technology collaborations to help local communities tackle key challenges; and $4 billion invested to upgrade and expand broadband across the U.S. and promote digital literacy and broadband adoption.
4. An accelerating Digital Economy – “We are leading the world to new digital frontiers.”
The U.S. Department of Commerce is driving the Digital Economy Agenda, which is focused on promoting innovation, a free and open Internet, trust online, and Internet access in consultation with the private sector leaders.
5. Supports diverse lifestyles – “From sea to shining sea.”
The U.S. is a diverse country in its people, landscape and environment. From Arena Football to Ziplining and from sea to shining sea, the U.S. can support a variety of lifestyles.
6. Stadium of Dreams (an immense marketplace) – “If you can make it there…”
UK companies of all shapes and sizes with innovative products, services or business models are apt to succeed in the U.S. And, with an open consumer market of 320 million consumers, doing business in the U.S. is a high priority for every savvy entrepreneur with an active ambition, a plan and big dreams.
7. Strong Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) – “Your identity, trade secrets and patents are safe with us.”
The U.S. is the world’s leader in protecting IPR. The velocity and accelerating growth in the value of technology, innovation and ideas being trade globally, makes the U.S. IPR framework a robust safety net for overseas investors doing business in the United States.
8. Platform to the world– “One small step, one giant leap”
More than 20% of exports from the U.S. are from foreign-owned affiliates, making the U.S. a great location from which to develop your global footprint. With the U.S. a party to existing and new regional trade pacts like NAFTA and TPP, the U.S. is the ideal launch pad for your business to make the giant leap to go global – even galactic.
9. The U.S. Dollar – “Benjamin, stack, G, Jackson, Tom, ten-spot, bill and Grant – what’s your flavor?
The U.S. Dollar remains the currency of choice for international transactions and is the world’s primary reserve denomination.
10. The U.S. Commercial Service –“U.S. is Open for Business.”
There is an excellent and experienced team at our U.S. Commercial Service at the embassies and consulates in London, Belfast, Edinburgh and Dublin. Together with the SelectUSA team, they are ready to guide you in making an informed decision about investing in the USA. Contact the London team by emailing Office.London@trade.gov.