Heard that some travelers need an e-passport to travel to the United States?  Not sure if this applies to you? Here are the facts!

Traveling under the Visa Waiver Program?
The e-passport requirement does apply to those traveling visa-free under the Visa Waiver Program with an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) registration.  Our friends at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), who administer ESTA and the Visa Waiver Program, have written a helpful guide about the new requirement, including how to tell if your passport is an e-passport.  Check it out! https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/2016-05-09-000000/clarifying-e-passport-requirement-visa-waiver

Still not sure if your passport is an e-passport? Contact your passport issuing authority.

Questions about the e-passport requirement, or about ESTA and the Visa Waiver Program in general?  CBP can help! https://help.cbp.gov/

Traveling with or applying for a U.S. visa?
The new change only applies to people traveling visa-free under the visa Waiver Program.  If you will be traveling with a visa, or applying for one, the e-passport requirement does not apply to you.

U.S. citizen?
U.S. citizens must enter and exit the U.S. using a valid U.S. passport, even if they are a dual national.  U.S. citizens do not need to register under ESTA, so the e-passport requirement does not apply.

In the UK and need to renew your U.S. passport?
Here’s how! https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/